2008-10-19

回到一個從未住過的家 returning to a home I've never lived



Well technically I did not lie because it is the ancestral home of my paternal heritage. In the older days, my home return permit (回鄉證) actually had city of 福州(Fuzhou) written as my "huji" (戶籍)or "zaoji"(早籍). I do not have too much of an emotional attachment since my father has not visited Fuzhou himself, though he has been in other places in Fujian province. He and I were both born in Hong Kong or its vicinity. I was quite elated to be there. Yes it was root searching. It wasn't a place so far from Hong Kong yet it was quite far, spiritually or emotionally, for a lack of better word.

I know my aunt (my father's elder sister), uncle (her husband) and other uncles on my father's side speak Fuzhou hua (福州話). My grandmother used to make 燕皮雲吞(yanpi yuntun)and I also ate 福州魚丸(Fuzhou yuwan) as a kid. Or, when I was in Chinatown of New York City, a stroll on East Broadway 東百老匯街would immerse myself in the incomprehensible Fuzhou hua. For I am one of them. I wished I could "connect" with them. Perhaps someday when I dig out a book on閩東 方言 Mindong dialect from the National Library of China. It is a doable wish haha. 福州雖然沒有廈門那麼發達,也不是北京,上海和香港,但它到底是家鄉。我以後還是要回去再看的!

No comments:

您來自哪里? D'où venez-vous? Where are you from?

Related Posts with Thumbnails